qemu-devel

Re: [Qemu-devel] [PULL 00/47] virtio, pc: fixes and features

From: Igor Mammedov
Subject: Re: [Qemu-devel] [PULL 00/47] virtio, pc: fixes and features
Date: Tue, 1 Nov 2016 15:14:34 +0100

On Tue, 1 Nov 2016 15:55:36 +0200
"Michael S. Tsirkin" <address@hidden> wrote:

> On Tue, Nov 01, 2016 at 02:21:07PM +0100, Igor Mammedov wrote:
> > On Tue, 1 Nov 2016 00:48:11 +0200

> > > If I drop it now it won't be in the next QEMU and it seems like
> > > a valuable feature. The comments so far are about minor style
> > > improvements that IMO can be addressed by patches on top.
> > wrt nvdimm hotplug support it's not about style issues but rather
> > design issues: for example:
> >  - it extends general hotplug framework unnecessarily instead of
> >    figuring out how it works.
> >  - adds not needed locks
> > maybe there is more and all of that was posted just a day before
> > this pull request so I haven't even had a chance to review it properly.
> >

> > > We can always revert if you see bigger issues, but let's enable the
> > > testing of this feature.
> > if it didn't mess with general infrastructure, I wouldn't care much.
> > But it does so I'd rather avoid merging not yet ready series just for
> > the sake of getting it in.
> >
> > I haven't reviewed 28-35 patches either but they are all cleanups/
> > fixes of current nvdimm code and local to it so don't mind them
> > getting merged.
> >
> > However I suggest dropping 36-39 patches from this pull request
> > as not yet ready for merging.
>
> So I think it's ok to keep them from now as that should help
> the feature converge faster, on the understanding the
> style issues are addressed quickly.
>
> Let's merge as is and I'll revert if this does not happen
> within two weeks. Ack?
Ack,
let's merge and revert if author won't fix issues in 1-2 weeks.

PS:
Looks like with new soft-freeze rules we just have one big
hard-freeze window and people trying to frantically squeeze
in features last minute.
I think previous soft-freeze rules worked better where
maintainers were still allowed merge features at their
discretion if series would converge in soft-freeze time
frame and be important/low risk one. Like the case here.