qemu-devel

Re: [Qemu-devel] virsh dump (qemu guest memory dump?): KASLR enabled lin

From: Daniel P. Berrange
Subject: Re: [Qemu-devel] virsh dump (qemu guest memory dump?): KASLR enabled linux guest support
Date: Wed, 9 Nov 2016 16:01:53 +0000

On Wed, Nov 09, 2016 at 04:38:36PM +0100, Laszlo Ersek wrote:

> I have no hard data, but from the recent Fedora and RHEL-7 guest
> installations I've done, it seems like qga is installed automatically.
> (Not sure if that's because Anaconda realizes it's installing the OS in
> a VM.) Once I made sure there was an appropriate virtio-serial config in
> the domain XMLs, I could talk to the agents (mainly for fstrim's sake)
> immediately.

I'm thinking about cloud deployment where people rarely use Anaconda
directly - they'll use a pre-built cloud image, or customize the basic
cloud image. Neither Fedora or Ubuntu include the qemu guest agent in
their cloud images AFAICT, so very few OpenStack deployments will have
QEMU guest agent in at this time.

Of course we could try to get distros to embed qemu guets agent by
default, but its not clear if we'd succeed, given how aggressive
they are at stripping stuff out to create the smallest practical
images.

Regards,
Daniel
|: http://entangle-photo.org       -o-    http://search.cpan.org/~danberr/ :|