qemu-devel

Re: [Qemu-devel] alpha platform is missing files after initrd load

From: Dennis Luehring
Subject: Re: [Qemu-devel] alpha platform is missing files after initrd load
Date: Fri, 11 Nov 2016 07:49:47 +0100

Am 09.11.2016 um 07:34 schrieb Dennis Luehring:
im using cross-linux-from-scratch manual/script for building the non-x86_64
platforms

fyi

after using the crosscompilers from the gcc-5-crossports packages (http://packages.ubuntu.com/source/xenial/gcc-5-cross-ports)

alpha-linux-gnu-gcc-5
sparc64-linux-gnu-gcc-5
mips64-linux-gnuabi64-gcc-5
powerpc64-linux-gnu-gcc-5
sadly no sparc, arm gccs :)

kompiling the kernels using my standard configs and init-programm

alpha - my small initrd cpio boots without "junk in compressed archive" message
mips64 - does not compile
ppc64 - does not boot
sparc64 - my small initrd cpio boots without "junk in compressed archive" message

so i only get these "junk in compressed archive" messages with my own gcc builds and whats also interesting is that the excutables are 10 times smaller (6MB:59MB alpha kernel...) using the prebuild compilers

so i think the warning that it is not easy to build working cross compilers for nearly all the qemu platforms from source seems to be true and i need to check my gcc compilation settings against the prebuild ones - never thought it would be that hard to build linux kernels based on self compiled gccs... in such limited spare time :)

but thx for all your help