qemu-devel

Re: [Qemu-devel] More platforms for the wiki

From: Stefan Hajnoczi
Subject: Re: [Qemu-devel] More platforms for the wiki
Date: Fri, 11 Nov 2016 13:02:50 +0000

On Fri, Nov 11, 2016 at 12:04:47AM -0500, G 3 wrote:
> http://fossboss.com/2016/08/13/use-qemu-test-operating-systems-distributions/
>
> On this page I found a huge list of QEMU emulators. I haven't heard of most
> of them, but some of them are not on the platforms page. Do you think we
> should add the missing ones?

A lot of them are 32-bit/64-bit and little-/big-endian variants of an
architecture.

The unique ones I see are:

ARM, Alpha, Cris, i386, lm32, m68k, Microblaze, MIPS, Moxie, OR32, PPC,
SH4, SPARC, Tricore, Unicore32, and xtensa.

Whew!  That's 16 architectures.

Some of the 32- vs 64-bit variants have big differences in instruction
sets and features.  However, people searching for information may not
know when to search for the specific variant versus when to look for the
common architecture.

I think it is simpler to house variants on a single wiki page (i.e.  ARM
for both aarch64 and arm).  Then we can use Mediawiki redirects to also
catch the specific variant names.

But ultimately it's up to the wiki page authors to decide.