qemu-devel

Re: [Qemu-devel] QMP event on reboot when -no-reboot is set

From: John Snow
Subject: Re: [Qemu-devel] QMP event on reboot when -no-reboot is set
Date: Thu, 17 Nov 2016 12:34:50 -0500

On 2016-11-16 17:29, John Snow wrote:
On 11/16/2016 09:01 AM, Dirk Braunschweiger wrote:
Hey Guys,

I want to get a qmp event when the qemu does a shutdown due to the
-no-reboot flag. Looking at the code I realized that the -no-reboot flag
just changes any reset request to a shutdown request.
Does anybody already patched qemu to emit some kind of reboot event to
the qmp socket?

If no one already patched it, would you accept such a patch? Or is a
non-wanted feature?

Best regards,
Dirk Braunschweiger

Is the existing "STOP" event insufficient for some reason? Is it
important to distinguish between a 'real' stop and a stop that was
originally intended to be a reboot?

If you can elaborate on that case, you have a good chance of amending
the event spec to add some new events.

--js

Hi John,

the stop event is not sufficient. I want to restart the VM if the guest
initiates a reboot. The user of the VM expects that the VM is startet
again after he/she clicks on reboot ;)
I want to use the --no-reboot flag to stop qemu and restart it on
another vm host or to start it with another configuration (more/less
RAM/CPU, a bigger HDD, etc...)

Best regards,
Dirk

Is there also a reason why live migrating the VM is undesirable and you want to wait for a perceived more opportune moment?

Regardless;

what you might consider doing is amending the "STOP" event to include a new optional parameter, like "reason" or so that can include some extra information about why a VM was stopped.

One of those reasons can be an intercepted --no-reboot event; maybe REASON=INTERCEPTED_REBOOT as a suggestion.

--js