qemu-devel

[Qemu-devel] About vNVDIMM question in TCG

From: Lin Ma
Subject: [Qemu-devel] About vNVDIMM question in TCG
Date: Sun, 20 Nov 2016 10:58:16 -0700

Hi Guangrong,

I'm interested in vNVDIMM on qemu. I'd like to give it a try on my laptop.
Because I dont have skylake server hardware, So I want to expose cpu flags
clflushopt, clwb and pcommit to guest for NVDIMM drivers on TCG.

I saw clflushopt and clwb feature flags in cpuinfo of guest, but no pcommit.
Could you please tell me is there anyhing wrong in my qemu CLI or anything
I misunderstand?

qemu-system-x86_64 \
-cpu Skylake-Client,+pcommit,+clflushopt,+clwb \
-machine pc-i440fx-2.8,nvdimm=on,accel=tcg \
-m 4G,maxmem=... \
-object memory-backend-file,... \
-device nvdimm,... \

BTW, In kvm mode, Even if I used '-cpu qemu64' without flags pcommit,
clflushopt and clwb, The block device /dev/pmem0 is still there and can
be used successfully. Does it make sense? Doesn't nvdimm kernel driver
need pcommit, clflushopt and clwb to work?

Thanks,
Lin