qemu-devel

Re: [Qemu-devel] Linux kernel polling for QEMU

From: Andrew Jones
Subject: Re: [Qemu-devel] Linux kernel polling for QEMU
Date: Tue, 29 Nov 2016 16:24:28 +0100

On Tue, Nov 29, 2016 at 10:17:46PM +0800, Fam Zheng wrote:
> On Tue, 11/29 14:27, Paolo Bonzini wrote:

> > > QEMU can clear the eventfd right after event firing so I don't think it is
> > > necessary.
> >
> > Yes, but how would QEMU know that the eventfd has fired?  It would be
> > very expensive to read the eventfd on each iteration of polling.
>
> The idea is to ppoll() the eventfd together with other fds (ioeventfd and
> linux-aio etc.), and in the handler, call event_notifier_test_and_clear()
> followed by a polling loop for some period.
>
> Fam
>

> > Paolo

> > > That sounds good!
> > >
> > > Fam

While we have a ppoll audience, another issue with the current polling
is that we can block with an infinite timeout set (-1), and it can
actually end up being infinite, i.e. vcpus will never run again. I'm
able to exhibit this with kvm-unit-tests. For these rare cases where
no other timeout has been selected, shouldn't we have a default timeout?
Anyone want to pick a number? I have a baseless compulsion to use 10 ms...

Thanks,
drew