qemu-devel

Re: [Qemu-devel] a suggestion to place *.c hunks last in patches

From: John Snow
Subject: Re: [Qemu-devel] a suggestion to place *.c hunks last in patches
Date: Wed, 30 Nov 2016 15:48:01 -0500

On 11/30/2016 07:03 AM, Laszlo Ersek wrote:
> On 11/30/16 11:55, Gerd Hoffmann wrote:
>> On Mi, 2016-11-30 at 11:08 +0100, Laszlo Ersek wrote:
>>> Recent git releases support the diff.orderFile permanent setting.
>>
>> Cool.
>>
>>> configure
>>> *Makefile*
>>> *.json
>>> *.txt
>>> *.h
>>> *.c
>>
>> I'd put *.txt to the head so doc updates come first.
>
> Good idea, yes.
>
>> Otherwise the order looks good to me.
>>
>> Want sent a patch?
>
> What file for? :)
>
> I've considered modifying
> <http://wiki.qemu.org/Contribute/SubmitAPatch>, but that article is
> humongous already.

<OFFTOPIC>

I am itching to split this article up.

It was a giant monolith when I found it, so I split it up into "phases"
and added a TOC, but it's still too unapproachable.

I'm thinking _two_ articles:

(1) A quick and dirty checklist that people can reference for their
first submissions to make sure they are in the correct universe when
submitting a patch, written expressly to be easy to digest without being
overwhelming, and

(2) A more detailed article we can reference when offering specific
feedback to newer contributors who did mostly everything correct.

</OFFTOPIC>

> Nonetheless, section "Make code motion patches easy to review" mentions
> some diff.* settings, so I guess a new section after it ("Format
> declarative and abstract changes near the top") would be appropriate, if
> there's no disagreement.
>
>> Can this be automatically enabled per repo, like .gitignore, so it works
>> without everybody tweaking its local git config?
>
> Not to my understanding.
>
> Thanks!
> Laszlo

Great suggestion. implementing immediately. :)

--
—js