qemu-devel

[Qemu-devel] QEMU po files / translations (was: Any QEMU 2.8 release blo

From: Stefan Weil
Subject: [Qemu-devel] QEMU po files / translations (was: Any QEMU 2.8 release blockers?)
Date: Wed, 14 Dec 2016 07:31:09 +0100

On 12/13/16 22:52, Stefan Hajnoczi wrote:
I've sent a patch to the list and CCed you.  I ran make -C po update.

Weird that the line numbers are hardcoded in the .po file format.  An
addr2line type tool would have been better to avoid the constant
outdated line numbers.  That said, I don't know anything about how
gettext is designed...

xgettext has an optional parameter --no-location which suppresses
the comments with filename:line.

All QEMU texts currently come from gtk.c, so that information
is not very useful. We could try running with --no-location
for the next release.

Even then the po files need a little bit more maintenance:
several texts don't have translations. And of course there
are more strings than those in gtk.c which could be translated,
e. g. the help texts, monitor output, error messages, ...

Stefan