qemu-devel

Re: [Qemu-devel] Lock contention in QEMU

From: Stefan Hajnoczi
Subject: Re: [Qemu-devel] Lock contention in QEMU
Date: Mon, 19 Dec 2016 10:58:59 +0000

On Fri, Dec 16, 2016 at 04:42:54PM -0500, Weiwei Jia wrote:
> Has x-data-plane been used (or accepted) widely in systems. I have
> this concern since if it hasn't been widely accepted, it may
> have/cause some problems we don't know. Do you know some hidden
> problems which may caused by QEMU x-data-plane feature in systems?

By now virtio-blk dataplane has been tested a fair amount.  virtio-scsi
dataplane is more recent.

I'm not aware of known issues with virtio-blk dataplane in modern QEMU
but you seem to be using an older QEMU.  Originally dataplane had a lot
of limitations (no live migration, no image file formats, no block
jobs) so be sure to check that your QEMU supports these things with
dataplane if you need the features.

Stefan