qemu-devel

[Qemu-devel] [Resolved -- false positive] Re: virus in colibriOS QEMU is

From: Kashyap Chamarthy
Subject: [Qemu-devel] [Resolved -- false positive] Re: virus in colibriOS QEMU iso?
Date: Fri, 23 Dec 2016 13:43:42 +0100

On Fri, Dec 23, 2016 at 11:25:18AM +0100, Thomas Huth wrote:
> On 23.12.2016 10:20, Kashyap Chamarthy wrote:

[...]

> > Yes, I can confirm that I have downloaded the ISO from the
> > official website -- it's a nightly build of their
> > SVN revision 6766.
>
> OK, as far as I can see, the issue comes from the setmbr.exe that is
> contained in the iso for writing the KolibriOS to an USB stick.
> According to http://board.kolibrios.org/viewtopic.php?t=2295 the report
> from Avira is a false positive (likely caused because the program tries
> to write to the MBR - which is also what some viruses / trojans are doing).

Phew, indeed it's a false positive.  To quote verbatim from the above
thread, for the record:

    "The program setmbr.exe modifies MBR of USB flash drives or
    (optionally) hard disks, to allow them load KolibriOS. Usually
    programs that modify MBR are viruses - that's why your [Avast]
    antivirus reported it."

> Anyway, since these Windows tools are not required for running
> KolibriOS in a VM, I've now removed them from the iso image and
> uploaded a new version to avoid future confusion:
>
>  http://www.qemu-advent-calendar.org/2016/download/day09-v2.tar.xz

Thanks, Thomas, for the swift response while I was AFK.  Glad that we're
two people coordinating this.

> If you've got some spare minutes, it would be great if you could give
> that new version another try to see whether the warning from Avira is
> now properly gone (I don't have a Windows here to test this on my own).

Yeah, I don't have Windows either to test.  But good that this is just a
false positive from an overly-paranoid tool.

--
/kashyap