qemu-devel

[Qemu-devel] Question - Is precise assembly code transpilation possible?

From: Adeel Mujahid
Subject: [Qemu-devel] Question - Is precise assembly code transpilation possible?
Date: Tue, 27 Dec 2016 21:45:32 +0000

Hello,

[sorry in advance -- this is bit of an off-topic / academic question w.r.t
qemu-devel]

Given the userspace virtualization capability of qemu, is it possible to ship
the code that deals with source-to-source mapping of assembly code (say MIPS64
<-> AMD64) as a separate library, so we can potentially build assembly language
converter utility?

For instance, consider a C/C++ project with couple of .asm/.S files containing
Intel or ATT flavored assembly code for AMD64, and the aim is to port to
AARCH64 -- is it even a deterministic problem to transpile precise and bug free
AARCH64 assembly code, given the full usage context and all code paths at our
disposal? In my understanding, qemu is doing something very similar; but I am
not sure as there might be missing optimization opportunities, which render
machine converted asm code less likely to match the one hand-roled by humans.

To this date, there are not many tools for assembly language, that convert
between different dialects (ATT to Intel) or various architecture instruction
sets. I have heard that LLVM has certain project, which aim to convert asmA ->
via IR -> asmB but I haven't found it yet.

-- best

Adeel