qemu-devel

Re: [Qemu-devel] qemu-softmmu aborted with "Bad ram pointer"

From: Peter Maydell
Subject: Re: [Qemu-devel] qemu-softmmu aborted with "Bad ram pointer"
Date: Fri, 6 Jan 2017 10:23:25 +0000

On 5 January 2017 at 22:52, Max Filippov <address@hidden> wrote:
> Hello,
>
> debugging XIP kernel running directly from CFI FLASH I've got to a point
> where QEMU aborts with the message "Bad ram pointer 0xbb4".
>
> It turns out that that happens when QEMU tries to translate code from FLASH
> immediately after the kernel has written to the FLASH address range:
> writing to FLASH address range turns off romd_mode of its memory region:

This sounds like
https://lists.nongnu.org/archive/html/qemu-devel/2016-08/msg03273.html

It's a bug that we fail with this unhelpful message and abort,
but the fix to the bug would only cause us to print the more
useful "can't execute from a device" instead. You can't
execute from a ROM that's not in ROMD mode, I'm afraid.

thanks
-- PMM