qemu-devel

Re: [Qemu-devel] CMSIS SVD based peripheral definitions

From: Peter Maydell
Subject: Re: [Qemu-devel] CMSIS SVD based peripheral definitions
Date: Tue, 17 Jan 2017 11:09:53 +0000

On 17 January 2017 at 10:42, Dr. David Alan Gilbert <address@hidden> wrote:
> Being able to read a machine description from a file at run time
> sounds reasonable, as do tools to manipulate those descriptions.
> I don't see why such a description file would be any different
> from a firmware file or config file, especially if you were to think
> of QEMU in this case more like a simulation environment
> which I think is what Liviu is trying to use it as.

Yes, I agree that's fine and I'd be happy with that. That
means reading the XML file at runtime that the user provides...

> I agree actually including/distributing those description files is a
> completely
> different issue if they're derived from someone elses files;

...not preprocessing the XML into JSON, losing the license
info and attribution and shipping the JSON with QEMU. It's
those aspects that I think drop into the 'grey area'.

thanks
-- PMM