qemu-devel

Re: [Qemu-devel] [PULL v2 000/180] QAPI patches for 2017-01-16

From: Peter Maydell
Subject: Re: [Qemu-devel] [PULL v2 000/180] QAPI patches for 2017-01-16
Date: Tue, 17 Jan 2017 13:59:59 +0000

On 17 January 2017 at 13:24, Markus Armbruster <address@hidden> wrote:
> Peter Maydell <address@hidden> writes:
>> (1) if it doesn't actually cause a change in the output, we
>> should either just delete the use of VERSION entirely, or move
>> it to somewhere outside of @subtitle which does actually
>> appear somewhere. There's no point in putting in the version
>> info if it doesn't get into the final output, whether
>> it generates a warning or not.
>
> It does affect PDF output.  PDF is generated by texi2pdf, which uses
> different command line options, and setting VERSION works fine there.

Mmm, but if it's useful information we should be displaying
it in all our documentation formats, not just tucking it
away in something that only appears in the PDF.
Conversely, if we're happy for some of our document formats
not to contain it we could save ourselves the grief of
having to work around this bug by dropping the @subtitle entirely.

As an aside, how useful is the PDF output anyway? In 2017
there seems to me quite a good argument for just creating
HTML...

thanks
-- PMM