qemu-devel

[Qemu-devel] what is the syntax and meaning of -numa cpus=foo-bar ?

From: Peter Maydell
Subject: [Qemu-devel] what is the syntax and meaning of -numa cpus=foo-bar ?
Date: Mon, 23 Jan 2017 15:14:28 +0000

Hi; something we noticed recently is that some versions of
makeinfo gripe about the -numa option syntax in qemu-options.hx:

qemu-options.texi:60: warning: unlikely character [ in @var.
qemu-options.texi:60: warning: unlikely character ] in @var.
qemu-options.texi:61: warning: unlikely character [ in @var.
qemu-options.texi:61: warning: unlikely character ] in @var.

This is provoked by qemu-options.hx having:

@item -numa node[,address@hidden,address@hidden,address@hidden
@itemx -numa node[,address@hidden,address@hidden,address@hidden

The obvious simple syntax fix is to change it to
"address@hidden@var{cpu}]" (ie the @var{} covers only
the metasyntactic variables the user has to fill in,
not the '-' which is I think a literal and the [] which
are indicating that the second part is optional).

However, this leaves me still rather in the dark as a user of
the documentation about what the option actually does. The
text below doesn't explain what the two 'cpu' fields I
can fill in do, or what values they can take. They should
probably be different names as well (eg "start-end", or
whatever makes sense for the semantics) so that the text
can refer to them usefully.

Would somebody who understands the -numa option like to
propose a few lines of text to clarify things?

thanks
-- PMM