qemu-devel

Re: [Qemu-devel] [PULL 00/13] x86, machine, numa queue (2017-01-23)

From: Peter Maydell
Subject: Re: [Qemu-devel] [PULL 00/13] x86, machine, numa queue (2017-01-23)
Date: Tue, 24 Jan 2017 13:38:52 +0000

On 24 January 2017 at 13:24, Peter Maydell <address@hidden> wrote:
> I get a failure in the docs on OSX:
>   GEN     qemu-doc.txt
>   CC      qapi/qapi-visit-core.o
> /Users/pm215/src/qemu-for-merges/qemu-doc.texi:7: warning:
> unrecognized encoding name `UTF-8'.
>   GEN     trace/generated-tracers.c
> /Users/pm215/src/qemu-for-merges/qemu-doc.texi:1419: Cross reference
> to nonexistent node `bt-hcis' (perhaps incorrect sectioning?).
> makeinfo: Removing output file `qemu-doc.txt' due to errors; use
> --force to preserve.
>
> This is the same error that was happening on the Travis OSX
> builds but not on my personal OSX machine, and leaves me
> suspicious that the qemu-doc.txt stuff is broken but also
> not always being rebuilt correctly (since it's a bit
> hit-and-miss whether particular things hit this.)

The cause of this problem I think is that we added a new
output file qemu-doc.txt, but we forgot to add it to this
dependency rule in Makefile:

qemu-doc.html qemu-doc.info qemu-doc.pdf: \
        qemu-img.texi qemu-nbd.texi qemu-options.texi qemu-option-trace.texi \
        qemu-monitor.texi qemu-img-cmds.texi qemu-ga.texi \
        qemu-monitor-info.texi

So if you do a make with -j8 then make may decide to parallelize
the building of the qemu-doc.txt with the creation of qemu-options.texi,
and then makeinfo can read a half-completed qemu-options.texi.

qemu-doc.txt also seems to have been not added to the rm -f
commands for the distclean target.

Side question: why do we have a rule to create the qemu-doc.pdf
but not actually install it with install-doc ?

thanks
-- PMM