qemu-devel

Re: [Qemu-devel] libslirp and QEMU slirp

From: Thomas Huth
Subject: Re: [Qemu-devel] libslirp and QEMU slirp
Date: Mon, 13 Feb 2017 11:56:11 +0100

On 12.02.2017 08:30, Renzo Davoli wrote:
> Hi,
>
> On Wed, Feb 08, 2017 at 11:10:50PM +0100, Samuel Thibault wrote:
>> Hello,
>>
>> Stefan Hajnoczi, on Mon 06 Feb 2017 11:55:05 +0000, wrote:
>>> I'm proposing this topic for discussion because there might be common
>>> ground for Samuel from QEMU and the VDE folks to collaborate.
>>>
>>> Samuel: Should QEMU join forces with libslirp?
>>
>> Well, there are not that many forces from the QEMU side :)
> Neither on VDE side ;-) but many ants can move mountains...
>>
>> - we are using timers for icmp announcements
>> - qemu needs to be able to save/restore state, with compatibility with
>> previous versions
>
> libslirp is using qemu's slirp code.
[...]
> Timers have been reimplemented using the qemu's API.
> save/restore are dummy stubs in libslirp. Qemu's code is still there but it
> is not used
> by libslirp.

Well, sure, but if this libslirp is going to evolve into a
QEMU-independent library, such timer and save/restore hacks likely
should go away from the library and implemented on the side of the
consuming application instead.

> It would be a nice project to create a common codebase for libslirp.
> The project sould be interesting for other VM projects (virtualbox-OSE?) and
> maybe many others. We could collect several ants...

FWIW, I know that WinUAE is using QEMU's slirp code, too.

I've got a question: Is there already a project page and public
repository for libslirp available somewhere? I did not find anything
useful with Google yet...

 Thomas