qemu-devel

Re: [Qemu-devel] libslirp and QEMU slirp

From: Stefan Hajnoczi
Subject: Re: [Qemu-devel] libslirp and QEMU slirp
Date: Wed, 15 Feb 2017 14:33:11 +0000

On Sun, Feb 12, 2017 at 08:30:19AM +0100, Renzo Davoli wrote:
> It would be a nice project to create a common codebase for libslirp.
> The project sould be interesting for other VM projects (virtualbox-OSE?) and
> maybe many others. We could collect several ants...
>
> Libslirp/QEMU integration is not so difficult.
> As a first step:
> * Qemu could add the UNIX socket redirect feature, or at least a
> unixtcp_fconnect dummy function
> returning -1 (#ifndef LIBSLIRP)
> * #include <qemu2libslirp.h>
> could be added in slirp.h (inside an #ifdef LIBSLIRP).
> In this way we could share exactly the same codebase.
>
> One further step:
> * discuss how to reduce/eliminate qemu-specific dependence
> * create an API for save/restore

Eliminating QEMU dependencies is feasible, I think.  libslirp could have
no "qemu" strings in the code :).  Applications like QEMU need to query
libslirp for timers and fds so they can be integrated into event loops
(select(2)).

Once there is a working libslirp that arbitrary programs can link
against it can be packaged (rpm, deb, etc) and announced.  That might
attract new contributors.

Stefan