qemu-devel

Re: [Qemu-devel] blockdev-add/del status

From: Eric Blake
Subject: Re: [Qemu-devel] blockdev-add/del status
Date: Wed, 15 Feb 2017 09:37:07 -0600

On 02/15/2017 09:26 AM, Vladimir Sementsov-Ogievskiy wrote:
> Hi all!
>
> What is the status of qmp commands blockdev-add and x-blockdev-del? Is
> blockdev-add stable (it never had x- prefix)? What should be done to get
> rid of "x-" for x-blockdev-del?

We are still working on 'BlockdevOptions' for iscsi, rbd, and sheepdog.
When those are done (target of 2.9), then x-blockdev-del will be renamed
to drop the x- prefix, and blockdev-add will be considered stable.
Meanwhile, we are also working on adding a -blockdev command line option
that maps to the QMP command, again targetted for 2.9.

> I see a lot of work on blockdev-add in the list, but x-blockdev-del
> seems untouched about 8 moths..

Right now, x-blockdev-del is unlikely to change much, if at all; rather,
it keeps the name to remind us that blockdev-add is still changing, so
that we'll have a nice witness during introspection that both interfaces
are stable based on the loss of the x- prefix.