qemu-devel

Re: [Qemu-devel] [PULL 08/41] intel_iommu: support device iotlb descript

From: Peter Xu
Subject: Re: [Qemu-devel] [PULL 08/41] intel_iommu: support device iotlb descriptor
Date: Fri, 17 Feb 2017 15:00:06 +0800

On Fri, Feb 17, 2017 at 06:36:41AM +0000, Liu, Yi L wrote:
> [...]

Hmm possibly. I'm still not quite familiar with ATS, but here what we
need to do may be that we forward these device-iotlb invalidations to
the hardware below, instead of sending UNMAP notifies, right?

> > However, vhost may receive two invalidations here, but it won't matter much
> > since vhost is just flushing caches twice.
>
> yeah, so far I didn’t see functional issue, may just reduce performance^_^
>
> > > It looks to be
> > > a duplicate update. Pls refer to the following snapshot captured from
> > > section 6.5.2.5 of vtd spec.
> > >
> > > "Since translation requests from a device may be serviced by hardware
> > > from the IOTLB, software must always request IOTLB invalidation
> > > (iotlb_inv_dsc) before requesting corresponding Device-TLB
> > > (dev_tlb_inv_dsc) invalidation."
> > >
> > > Maybe for device-iotlb, we need a separate API which just pass down
> > > the invalidate info without updating page table. Any thoughts?
> >
> > Now imho I slightly prefer just use the current UNMAP notifier type even for
> > device iotlb device. But, we may need to do one more check that we skip
> > sending general iotlb invalidations to ATS enabled devices like vhost, to
> > avoid
> > duplicated cache flushing. From virt-svm side, do we have specific
> > requirement
> > to introduce a new flag for it?
> I think it is a practical solution to do such a check to avoid duplicate
> flushing.
>
> For virt-svm, requirement is a little bit different since it's not shadowing
> any guest
> page table. It needs to shadow invalidate operations. So virt-svm will not use
> MAP/UNMAP notifier. Instead, it may require notifier which passdown invalidate
> info and then submit invalidation directly.(no page table updating in host).

Again, just want to know whether my above understanding is correct. If
so, instead of introducing a new flag, maybe we just need to enhance
current vtd_process_device_iotlb_desc() to behave differently
depending on which device the SID belongs to. E.g.:

(1) for emulated devices (virtio-pci/vhost is one of them), we pass
    down using a UNMAP, or say, do a cache flush

(2) for assigned devices, we pass it down to hardware by some way

I don't know whether there'll be a (3) though. Also, I don't know the
best way to achieve (2) (new vfio driver interface?).

Thanks,

-- peterx