qemu-devel

Re: [Qemu-devel] Fix build break during configuration on musl-libc based

From: Fam Zheng
Subject: Re: [Qemu-devel] Fix build break during configuration on musl-libc based Linux systems.
Date: Fri, 17 Feb 2017 18:11:31 +0800

On Fri, 02/17 10:23, Laszlo Ersek wrote:
> On 02/17/17 07:43, Fam Zheng wrote:
> > On Thu, 02/16 12:47, Chad Joan wrote:
> >> I am glad others are chiming in and might provide better solutions.
> >>
> >> Honestly, following the instructions at
> >> http://wiki.qemu-project.org/Contribute/SubmitAPatch to-the-letter is quite
> >> daunting to me, just to get one line of code changed.  It might help if
> >> that page had some kind of dead-simple example for trivial patches;
> >> something like:
> >> $ cd <QEMU directory>
> >> $ git format-patch blah blah blah
> >> $ maybe-some-other-command
> >> $ # Now copy the contents of file xyz.patch into your email client and send
> >> to address@hidden and address@hidden
> >
> > Makes sense in general except for the sending part - email clients tend to
> > damage the patch when you copy and paste by wrapping long lines or messing
> > up
> > other things. But your point is taken, we should make the first (or a
> > one-shot)
> > contribution as easy as possible.
>
> I disagree (from the sidelines, that is; I'm not a QEMU maintainer --
> I'm a co-maintainer elsewhere). The patch submission process exists for
> a reason, the goal is to maximize the throughput of long-term
> contributors and maintainers, because that's the best for the project's
> overall health and progress.

Having a process and smoothly revealing it to new contributors are not in
conflict. The problem here is the long SubmitAPatch I think. It does include
more details than needed for the minimum of the very first submission; also it
is not in an easy-to-follow step-by-step form.

I believe people will happily learn the process once he feels appreciation on
his effort, once they get replies to his patch. :)

> It does not mean that one-off contributions are not welcome -- all
> contributions are welcome that follow the process (and beyond that,
> everyone is welcome to become a long-term contributor).

IMHO one-off _fixes_ are also good, like this one. Like Peter noted, the only
recommendation for those who don't like formalities and have no intention to
contribute regularly, is to add a "signed-off-by" line to their patch.

> Just my two cents, of course; don't take this as an official standpoint
> or whatever. (And, I'm saying this after having manually fixed up
> garbled patches from one-off contributors.)
>
> Laszlo

Fam