qemu-devel

Re: [Qemu-devel] [Bug?] BQL about live migration

From: Yang Hongyang
Subject: Re: [Qemu-devel] [Bug?] BQL about live migration
Date: Fri, 3 Mar 2017 22:15:01 +0800

Hi Paolo,

On Fri, Mar 3, 2017 at 9:33 PM, Paolo Bonzini <address@hidden> wrote:

> On 03/03/2017 14:26, Dr. David Alan Gilbert wrote:
> > * Paolo Bonzini (address@hidden) wrote:

> ago that
> worried about it,

> MIGRATION_STATUS_CANCELLING?
> migration is in
> CANCELLED - so that

> small

> called

> end

> significant
> >>
> >> Actually I thought that would be the case already (in fact CANCELLING is
> >> internal only; the outside world sees it as "active" in query-migrate).
> >>
> >> Lei, what is the runstate?  (That is, why did cont succeed at all)?
> >
> > I suspect it's RUN_STATE_FINISH_MIGRATE - we set that before we do the
> device
> > save, and that's what we get at the end of a migrate and it's legal to
> restart
> > from there.
>
> Yeah, but I think we get there at the end of a failed migrate only.  So
> perhaps we can introduce a new state RUN_STATE_FAILED_MIGRATE

I think we do not need to introduce a new state here. If we hit 'cont' and
the run state is RUN_STATE_FINISH_MIGRATE, we could assume that
migration failed because 'RUN_STATE_FINISH_MIGRATE' only exists on
source side, means we are finishing migration, a 'cont' at the meantime
indicates that we are rolling back, otherwise source side should be
destroyed.

> and forbid
> "cont" from finish-migrate (only allow it from failed-migrate)?

The problem of forbid 'cont' here is that it will result in a failed
migration and the source
side will remain paused. We actually expect a usable guest when rollback.
Is there a way to kill migration thread when we're under main thread, if
there is, we
could do the following to solve this problem:
1. 'cont' received during runstate RUN_STATE_FINISH_MIGRATE
2. kill migration thread
3. vm_start()

But this only solves 'cont' problem. As Dave said before, other things could
happen during the small windows while we are finishing migration, that's
what I was worried about...