qemu-devel

Re: [Qemu-devel] [PULL 0/2] submodule-update queue 20170303

From: Peter Maydell
Subject: Re: [Qemu-devel] [PULL 0/2] submodule-update queue 20170303
Date: Sat, 4 Mar 2017 12:47:59 +0000

On 3 March 2017 at 19:45, James Hanley <address@hidden> wrote:
> I'm trying to clone clean and I'm getting the following when initing the
> submodules updated:

> It's unclear to me what should be done for a pristine clone - is there a
> step missing from pulling those submodules?

I just did:
 git clone git://git.qemu-project.org/qemu.git
 cd qemu
 git submodule init
 git submodule update

and that worked for me.

(We do occasionally accidentally introduce an error where we
update the submodule but the qemu-project.org mirror of a
git repo hasn't yet moved forward to include the reference.
But it seems to all be OK at the moment.)

As an aside you typically don't need all the submodules if
you're just interested in building QEMU. (You might need
the dtc module but configure will tell you if you do and
also what command to ues to just get the dtc submodule
and not anything else.)

thanks
-- PMM