qemu-devel

Re: [Qemu-devel] QEMU MicroCheckpointing Pause & Resume Latency

From: Dr. David Alan Gilbert
Subject: Re: [Qemu-devel] QEMU MicroCheckpointing Pause & Resume Latency
Date: Thu, 9 Mar 2017 15:19:23 +0000

* FENG, Jiasheng (address@hidden) wrote:
> Dear QEMU Development Team,
>

> It is my honor to contact with you.
>

> I am a postgraduate student from University of Hong Kong. Currently I am
> working on a project related to QEMU MicroCheckpointing and I have
> encountered a performance issue during checkpoint pause & resume.

The microcheckpointing code hasn't been maintained for a long time;
most of the current checkpointing work is based on the COLO work which is
still under development.

> Please kindly refer to migration/checkpoint.c file, in function
> capture_checkpoint, I proceeded a test to see the time consumption between
> vm_stop_force_state and vm_start. I found out that even if the system is
> idle, there are still 12-20ms latency recorded ( mem=2G, vCPU=4 ).
> Moreover, latency will be increased while more cpus equipped by my virtual
> machine. I have done some research on that and I realized that it is
> related to the Memory Barrier in KVM kernel. Each cpu will proceed a
> smp_wmb() request during pause & resume and it takes about  3-5ms to finish
> the request ( mem=2G, vCPU=4 ).
>

> Therefore, I would like to ask 3 questions regarding on the above issue:
>

> 1. What is your consideration with calling smp_wmb() in checkpoint period;
>
> 2. Is it any other solution to minimize the latency to improve the
> performance in checkpoint period;
>
> 3. Is smp_wmb() able to be safely disabled during the checkpoint period

Well you'd have to understand where it's used; but for example, when taking
a checkpoint you'd want to be sure that the checkpoint data contained
a consistent copy of the last write data from all of the vCPUs; so I think
a wmb would be needed to make sure it's consistent.

I'm surprised that the smp_wmb is such a big chunk of your total checkpoint
time, and that it's quite so long.
Are the vCPUs idle or are they busy - does it make difference?

Dave

> Really appreciate your help with my problems and hope to receive your
> feedback soon.
>

> Thanks again for your contribution to QEMU and it is such a masterpiece.

Dave