qemu-devel

Re: [Qemu-devel] Make qemu_thread_create return a flag to indicate if it

From: Alex Bennée
Subject: Re: [Qemu-devel] Make qemu_thread_create return a flag to indicate if it succeeded
Date: Thu, 16 Mar 2017 17:04:26 +0000

Achilles Benetopoulos <address@hidden> writes:

> I am interested in working on the BiteSized Task mentioned in the
> subject line. However, I have a question: Since the current behaviour
> of qemu_thread_create is to fail in the case of an error, then it
> seems logical to make the caller exit (in the patched version) if the
> return value of the call to qemu_thread_create indicates an error. Is
> this desirable? If so, how detailed should the error messages reported
> be? If not, then I'm guessing that the desired behaviour is a more
> graceful handling of the error on a case-by-case basis?

It will depend on a case-by-case basis. For example failing to create
threads for a TCG vCPU don't really leave much for you to do expect
complain loudly and exit. I assume the more graceful handling is for
things like thread-pools where you can continue to run even without a
fully populated pool.

--
Alex Bennée