qemu-devel

Re: [Qemu-devel] Proposal for deprecating unsupported host OSes & archit

From: Eric Blake
Subject: Re: [Qemu-devel] Proposal for deprecating unsupported host OSes & architecutures
Date: Tue, 21 Mar 2017 12:59:04 -0500

>> Should "native CYGWIN" be in the drop list? I only test
>> mingw cross compile, but configure has a separate section for
>> CYGWIN in its $targetos case statement.
>
> Cygwin is different enough from mingw that I'd basically call
> it a completely separate platform. IOW, successfull mingw
> builds don't offer a strong guarantee of a succesfull cygwin
> build.

I'm late to the thread, but I'll chime in here:
I don't think qemu has ever successfully built on native cygwin.  There
have already been cleanup patches to the list in the meantime to rip out
the (stunted) configure support for using cygwin as the host to do a
cross-compilation to mingw, which as long as it was present meant that
no one could even attempt a native cygwin build (at least not without
jumping through some big hoops).

I have a soft spot for Cygwin (after all, I still maintain several
packages for that platform), but not enough time to even attempt a qemu
build (to see what breaks), nor enough resources to contribute a Cygwin
CI machine to the build-bots, so I have no heartbreak that Cygwin is
(currently) in the list of unsupported platforms.  If someone (maybe me)
ever cares enough to get qemu building on Cygwin, we can always amend
the list of supported platforms at that date.