qemu-devel

Re: [Qemu-devel] rawhide gcc failures [was: Proposal for deprecating uns

From: Alex Bennée
Subject: Re: [Qemu-devel] rawhide gcc failures [was: Proposal for deprecating unsupported host OSes & architecutures]
Date: Thu, 23 Mar 2017 09:25:37 +0000

Peter Maydell <address@hidden> writes:

> On 22 March 2017 at 19:07, Eric Blake <address@hidden> wrote:
>> Tangentially-related: do we officially support bleeding-edge OS builds?
>> For example, current rawhide has a new-enough gcc that gives some
>> (possibly-useful) new warnings (-Werror=format-truncation)
>
> Depends what you mean by "support". Are we testing them
> in our build/CI loop? Apparently not :-)

We test some. The Travis loop currently installs the toolchain PPAs for
two of its runs to use:

        - COMPILER_NAME=clang CXX=clang++-3.9 CC=clang-3.9
        - COMPILER_NAME=gcc CXX=g++-5 CC=gcc-5

That said it probably makes more sense to add a rawhide docker image for
testing. Whether it is worth running it on every patch series remains to
be seen as while it might give some advanced warning could it also be
because the bleeding edge distro is broken in some other way?

--
Alex Bennée