qemu-devel

Re: [Qemu-devel] Deprecating the -net option (was: What's the next QEMU

From: Thomas Huth
Subject: Re: [Qemu-devel] Deprecating the -net option (was: What's the next QEMU version after 2.9 ? (or: when is a good point in time to get rid of old interfaces))
Date: Mon, 27 Mar 2017 14:56:14 +0200

On 27.03.2017 14:01, Stefan Hajnoczi wrote:
> On Mon, Mar 27, 2017 at 10:06:09AM +0200, Thomas Huth wrote:

>>> As others have stated, we need a few releases to deprecate things first.
>>>
>>> Maybe we should develop a serious plan to develop some of our legacy
>>> interfaces first.
>>>
>>> Maybe 2.10 can introduce a list of things we want to deprecate,
>>> 2.11 can be the transition release,
>>> and then 3.0 can cut the cord and free of us our terrible burden?
>>>
>>> I have a list of things I want to axe...
>>
>> I've started a Wiki page with such a list here:
>>
>> http://wiki.qemu-project.org/Features/LegacyRemoval
>
> It would be nice to get rid of the legacy -net option in 3.0.0.  I have
> added it and included pointers to loose ends.  I think this is doable
> but will require some time to achieve.

Not sure whether we really can get rid of the -net option completely,
since AFAIK it is the only way to configure on-board NICs at the moment,
and Paolo complains if he needs to type longer command lines
(https://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/qemu-devel/2015-12/msg02448.html).

But maybe we could get rid of the VLANs here at least, e.g. by matching
"-net nic" and a following "-net user|bridge|tap|..." with an internal
netdev ID instead of creating a "VLAN" hub?

Or we could even turn the -net option into a full "convenience" option
instead (similar to "-hda" and friends), so that you even do not have to
specify "-net nic" anymore but create both, network source and sink with
one "-net" statement, e.g.:

 qemu-system-xxx -net user,model=e1000,hostfwd=...

Just my 0.02 €

 Thomas