qemu-devel

Re: [Qemu-devel] What's the next QEMU version after 2.9 ? (or: when is a

From: Thomas Huth
Subject: Re: [Qemu-devel] What's the next QEMU version after 2.9 ? (or: when is a good point in time to get rid of old interfaces)
Date: Mon, 27 Mar 2017 21:46:02 +0200

On 27.03.2017 21:04, John Snow wrote:

> On 03/27/2017 04:06 AM, Thomas Huth wrote:

>>> As others have stated, we need a few releases to deprecate things first.
>>>
>>> Maybe we should develop a serious plan to develop some of our legacy
>>> interfaces first.
>>>
>>> Maybe 2.10 can introduce a list of things we want to deprecate,
>>> 2.11 can be the transition release,
>>> and then 3.0 can cut the cord and free of us our terrible burden?
>>>
>>> I have a list of things I want to axe...
>>
>> I've started a Wiki page with such a list here:
>>
>> http://wiki.qemu-project.org/Features/LegacyRemoval
>>
>> Feel free to amend!
>>

> Absolutely!
>
> Should we make an effort to print warnings for any of these items in the
> list for 2.10 that they may disappear for 3.0?

Yes, I think there was something like a consensus earlier in this thread
that we should warn for at least two releases before removing a legacy
interface, so we should make sure that we add a warning for the listed
items in 2.10.

> It'd be nice to turn this wiki list into something that we're actually
> definitely going to do.

I definitely plan to add some warnings once the hard freeze is over and
the development tree opens again. If you want to help with the patches,
you're very welcome!

 Thomas