qemu-devel

Re: [Qemu-devel] [RFC for-3.0 4/4] block/qcow2-rust: Register block driv

From: Max Reitz
Subject: Re: [Qemu-devel] [RFC for-3.0 4/4] block/qcow2-rust: Register block driver
Date: Wed, 19 Apr 2017 14:19:52 +0200

On 19.04.2017 13:28, Fam Zheng wrote:
> On Sat, 04/01 17:57, Max Reitz wrote:
>> +/* This is just for the module loading system to detect this driver */
>> +static BlockDriver _ __attribute__((used)) = {
>> +    .format_name = "qcow2-rust",
>> +};
>
> You see why I didn't like that system in the first place.

Yes. We will have to adjust the module loading system before 3.0, but
I'm confident we can port all block drivers to Rust by then so this will
be a matter of course.

OTOH, why would you ever not load the rust block driver? In the final
version, we'd call it "qcow2", throw the legacy driver out and not even
care about whether the module system detects this one (because it'll be
statically linked anyway).

(Honestly, I think this is just an artifact from beginning of last week
where I wanted to make this driver a module... Beware, my April Fool's
patches may not be polished.)

Max