qemu-devel

Re: [Qemu-devel] Help needed: Sparc 64, kernel panic

From: Ajallooiean Hossein
Subject: Re: [Qemu-devel] Help needed: Sparc 64, kernel panic
Date: Sat, 22 Apr 2017 23:42:08 +0000

Hi Mark,

Thanks a lot for this. - it did work!

So, now im wondering how did you install the iso on disk?

would you mind sharing your command line for the install please? and hacks if
any

i am now able to install and boot, but my boot hang after this line "[
22.559491] [TTM] Initializing pool allocator" - inside user space. - I did
blacklist bochs_drm for installing as such "-append
'modprobe.blacklist=bochs_drm'".

also, i have a couple of questions if you dont mind responding to them. - ill
appreciate this a lot:
1- did you use virtio for your install? i.e. not using the "-cdrom" command and
blacklisting the pata_cmd64x and also providing your own virtio device
(/dev/vdb)?
    - i used this link for hints on how to install with virtio
http://tyom.blogspot.ch/2013/03/debiansparc64-wheezy-under-qemu-how-to.html

2- i see that you used ext3 for your OS install, isnt that slower than ext4?
-again im referencing this:
http://tyom.blogspot.ch/2013/03/virtio-performance-and-filesystems.html

3- also, im noticing that you didnt define root=/dev/sda or root=/dev/vda1 for
when your running qemu. and when im running your image i have to do that,
otherwise ill get to the initramfs only. is there a trick behind this?

4- i dont see you defining a kernel and initrd? is there a reason for this? if
i just use your cmd line, ill get this: also, are you extracting the kernel and
initrd from the image or the iso?

OpenBIOS for Sparc64
Configuration device id QEMU version 1 machine id 0
kernel cmdline
CPUs: 1 x SUNW,UltraSPARC-IIi
UUID: 00000000-0000-0000-0000-000000000000
Welcome to OpenBIOS v1.1 built on Mar 15 2017 19:37
  Type 'help' for detailed information
Trying disk:a...
Not a bootable ELF image
Loaded 7680 bytes