qemu-devel

Re: [Qemu-devel] [Qemu-devel RFC v2 4/4] msf2: Add Emcraft's Smartfusion

From: Alistair Francis
Subject: Re: [Qemu-devel] [Qemu-devel RFC v2 4/4] msf2: Add Emcraft's Smartfusion2 SOM kit.
Date: Mon, 24 Apr 2017 10:53:41 -0700

>> Instead of calling all of these in the init function you should split
>> it up over the machines init and realize function.
>>
>> Look at the stm32f205_soc or xlnx-zynqmp files for examples of how to do
>> this.
>>
>> It also moves away from calling qdev_create() and qdev_init_nofail()
>> and instead manually creates the objects.
>>
> I am still learning all these. Please correct me if am wrong.
> I need to create a SoC file and a board file like stm32f205 and
> xlnx-zynqmp now right?

Hey Sundeep,

I don't think you have to do it like that. I think for some
SoCs/boards it makes sense. For example the ZynqMP SoCs are included
on multiple different boards (EP108 and ZCU102) so it makes sense to
have a SoC and a board separately defined. On the other hand if you
had a SoC that is always on the same board it doesn't make as much
sense.

It is probably is a good idea to split it between a board and an SoC
unless you have a good reason not to though.

Thanks,

Alistair