qemu-devel

Re: [Qemu-devel] Dummy Panel.

From: Alex Bennée
Subject: Re: [Qemu-devel] Dummy Panel.
Date: Fri, 05 May 2017 16:27:47 +0100

Stefan Hajnoczi <address@hidden> writes:

> On Wed, May 03, 2017 at 02:20:55PM +0000, John Bradley via Qemu-devel wrote:
>> Hi
>> I have created a new fork on GitHub https://github.com/flypie/flypie-pi-qemu
>> and an associated project https://github.com/flypie/GDummyPanel the idea as
>> well as getting the Original PI emulation working is to add some facility
>> for simulated IO. This is a demonstration of the latest version, running the
>> QEMU demo from https://github.com/rsta2/circle. I took the idea from an
>> implementation for the BIFFboard but only the socket number is left, the
>> commuications is all via IP. The code is only really Alpha level at the
>> moment and needs some refing to reduce bandwidth. I could also extend the
>> code so that the connection can be to a remote machine rather than via the
>> local host.
>>
>> I intend to generalise the code, to work with several different
>> boards other than the PI, could anyone suggest a board that would
>> benefit from such an add on.

There is certainly interest in being able to plug in generic GPIO
devices into QEMU's emulation. The trick would be to come up with
something that is both flexible enough and simple to plug into device
emulation.

There are other out-of-tree solutions to this that have been developed
by hardware tool bods to plug QEMU into things like SystemC emulations
of FPGAs and other devices.

>> Is this a worth while addon?

It's certainly worth exploring but it would have to be a generic
solution not tied just to the Raspberry Pi.

--
Alex Bennée