qemu-devel

Re: [Qemu-devel] Floating point unit bugs

From: G 3
Subject: Re: [Qemu-devel] Floating point unit bugs
Date: Mon, 8 May 2017 18:09:49 -0400

On 2017-05-07 17:48, G 3 wrote:
I made a diagnostic program for the floating point unit. It will test
various PowerPC floating point instructions for compatibility with the PowerPC G3 processor. It was tested on a PowerPC G3 and G5 system. The results of the program in qemu-system-ppc were pretty bad. About every
instruction tested is not implemented correctly.

I don't say that qemu-system-ppc is bug free, but this looks suspicious
that about every instruction is buggy.

I really hope you don't think I'm blaming anyone. I'm only reporting the results of the test.

Have you tried to run your
program on a real G3 or G5 system?

Yes. I made sure it ran on a real G3 and G5 system without problem before testing it on QEMU. I suspect the Motorola designed G4 processor will not be compatible. I don't have a working G4 system to verify this unfortunately.

[ snip ]

Here is the full test results after running this program in qemu- system-ppc
with a Mac OS 10.4 guest:

fadd test failed
expected answer: 0x3ff3333333333334
  actual answer: 0x8200400000000024
expected fpscr: 0x82064000
  actual fpscr: 0x82004000

This looks highly suspicious that the actual answer match the expected
answer.

You can use this web page to find the decimal value: http:// www6.uniovi.es/~antonio/uned/ieee754/IEEE-754hex64.html

0x3ff3333333333334 = 1.2000000000000002
0x8200400000000024 = -4.8529708162167760e-299

The expected answer and actual answer are very far from each other.