qemu-devel

Re: [Qemu-devel] KVM "fake DAX" device flushing

From: Kevin Wolf
Subject: Re: [Qemu-devel] KVM "fake DAX" device flushing
Date: Fri, 12 May 2017 18:53:44 +0200

Am 12.05.2017 um 15:42 hat Stefan Hajnoczi geschrieben:
> On Thu, May 11, 2017 at 05:38:40PM -0400, Rik van Riel wrote:
> > >
> > > Good point.  QEMU currently only supports live migration with
> > > O_DIRECT.
> > > I think the problem was that userspace cannot guarantee consistency
> > > in
> > > the general case.  If you find a solution to this problem for fake
> > > NVDIMM then maybe the QEMU block layer can also begin supporting live
> > > migration with buffered I/O.
> >
> > I'll be happy to work with you on that, independently
> > of Pankaj's project.
> >
> > It looks like the fadvise system call could be extended
> > pretty easily with an FADV_INVALIDATE_CACHE command, the
> > other side of which can simply hook into the existing
> > page cache invalidation code in the kernel.
> >
> > Qemu will need to know whether the invalidation succeeded,
> > but that is something we can test for pretty easily before
> > returning to userspace.
>
> Sounds great.  I will review the long discussions that took place on
> qemu-devel about cache invalidation for live migration - just want to
> make sure there were no other reasons why only O_DIRECT is supported
> :).

There are other reasons why we recommend against using non-O_DIRECT
modes in production (including the error handling), but with respect to
live migration, this is the only one I'm aware of.

As I already said in the private email thread, an FADV_INVALIDATE_CACHE
should do the trick and I'd be happy to work with you guys on that.

Kevin