qemu-devel

[Qemu-devel] virtio crypto device implemenation

From: Zeng, Xin
Subject: [Qemu-devel] virtio crypto device implemenation
Date: Tue, 23 May 2017 16:08:25 +0000

Hi, Michael,
   As you know, Lei Gong from Huawei and I are co-working  on virtio crypto
device spec, he is focusing on symmetric algorithm part, I am focusing on
asymmetric part.  Now I am planning the implementation for asymmetric part,
would you please give me your point regarding the questions below?
   Current virtio crypto device implementation from Lei Gong:
   The virtio crypto device implementation has been upstreamed to QEMU and it
has a qemu backend implementation for symmetric algorithm part, the front end
Linux device driver for symmetric part has been upstreamed to Linux kernel as
well.
   My questions:
   From my side, I planned to add the asymmetric part support in upstreamed
front end device driver, and I don't want to add the asymmetric algorithm
support to current virtio crypto device's qemu backend, instead, I would like
to implement and upstream a DPDK vhost-user based backend for asymmetric
algorithm, and accordingly Lei Gong will help to upstream a vhost user agent
for virtio crypto device in QEMU,  is this approach acceptable? Is a qemu
backend a mandatory requirement for the virtio crypto device?  Is there a
general policy for this?

Thanks