qemu-devel

[Qemu-devel] qdev properties vs qom object properties

From: Peter Maydell
Subject: [Qemu-devel] qdev properties vs qom object properties
Date: Mon, 5 Jun 2017 14:10:06 +0100

I perpetually get confused about qdev properties vs QOM object
properties.

Why do we have both of these APIs?
How do they interact?
Which is the recommended one for new device code?
Do we have a transition plan for old code?
Where should I be looking for the documentation on this?

For a specific example, I see that target/arm is the only code
using qdev_property_add_static(), but there's no indication
that the function is deprecated or what the right thing to be
doing instead is. Any suggestions?

thanks
-- PMM