qemu-devel

Re: [Qemu-devel] GSoC 2017 Proposal: TCG performance enhancements

From: Peter Maydell
Subject: Re: [Qemu-devel] GSoC 2017 Proposal: TCG performance enhancements
Date: Wed, 7 Jun 2017 13:07:59 +0100

On 7 June 2017 at 12:12, Lluís Vilanova <address@hidden> wrote:
> My understanding was that adding a public instrumentation interface would add
> too much code maintenance overhead for a feature that is not in QEMU's core
> target.

Well, it depends what you define as our core target :-)
I think we get quite a lot of users that want some useful ability
to see what their guest code is doing, and these days (when
dev board hardware is often very cheap and easily available)
I think that's a lot of the value that emulation can bring to
the table. Obviously we would want to try to do it in a way
that is low-runtime-overhead and is easy to get right for
people adding/maintaining cpu target frontend code...

thanks
-- PMM