qemu-devel

Re: [Qemu-devel] DragonFly BSD support

From: John Snow
Subject: Re: [Qemu-devel] DragonFly BSD support
Date: Thu, 15 Jun 2017 14:09:34 -0400

On 06/15/2017 06:15 AM, Peter Maydell wrote:
> On 14 June 2017 at 11:55, Antonio Huete Jiménez
> <address@hidden> wrote:
>> According to 2.9 changelog page, DragonFly BSD will be listed as unsupported
>> with the possibility of dropping support completely in the future:
>>
>> http://wiki.qemu.org/ChangeLog/2.9
>>
>> I'd like to volunteer so that qemu can keep DragonFly BSD as a supported
>> platform.
>> Could you please let me know the requirements needed to do so?
>
> Thanks for volunteering!
>
> So, what we need comes in two parts:
>  (1) a machine we can use for our build tests (ie which I can have
> an ssh account on; we may set up more formal continuous-integration
> later). Since I don't know the BSDs somebody else needs to be
> handling sysadmin work for it.
> At a pinch, detailed instructions on how to set up a VM on
> Linux running DragonFly BSD would do; we have those for some
> of the BSDs here: http://wiki.qemu.org/Hosts/BSD
>
>  (2) somebody who's prepared to list themselves as the maintainer
> for the host OS, and respond to problems/patches relating to it.
> In particular the first thing will be to ensure that QEMU actually
> builds and passes 'make check' on this OS and submit any patches
> needed to fix problems. If there are any non-upstream patches
> lurking around in a ports system, then you'll also want to start
> cleaning those up and getting them upstream.
>
> When we get to the point where we have a machine in our
> standard build-and-test setup which passes 'make && make check'
> then we can drop the "this is unsupported" note from configure.
>
> thanks
> -- PMM

Peter, do we have a wiki page detailing what it takes to get an
operating system considered "supported" with hints and tips for
prospective maintainers?

Perhaps we could and include a link to the deprecation warnings.

(Then again, how many times will this be useful again in the future? How
many operating systems could there be that care about QEMU? ...)

--js