qemu-devel

Re: [Qemu-devel] QEMU issues on SPARC hosts due to more-than-page-alignm

From: Peter Maydell
Subject: Re: [Qemu-devel] QEMU issues on SPARC hosts due to more-than-page-alignment requirement for MAP_SHARED|MAP_FIXED...
Date: Fri, 16 Jun 2017 10:18:47 +0100

On 15 June 2017 at 20:13, Laszlo Ersek <address@hidden> wrote:
> If that's not the case, i.e. Linux on SPARC enforces SHMLBA for all
> kinds of mmap() -- which I would call a POSIX conformance bug --,

I'm pretty sure it does: the intention is to avoid violating
h/w cache aliasing constraints so the code enforces the
16k alignment restriction for any MAP_SHARED mapping.
(This is only awkward for MAP_FIXED since otherwise it can
just pick the address to suit its purposes anyway.)

(As an aside I wonder whether any still-used hardware has
the cache aliasing constraints in question :-))

thanks
-- PMM