qemu-devel

Re: [Qemu-devel] spapr guests warn "System page size 0x2000 is not enabl

From: Alexey Kardashevskiy
Subject: Re: [Qemu-devel] spapr guests warn "System page size 0x2000 is not enabled in page_size_mask (0x11000). Performance may be slow" on SPARC hosts
Date: Tue, 20 Jun 2017 12:54:24 +1000

On 20/06/17 11:02, David Gibson wrote:
> On Mon, Jun 19, 2017 at 12:32:48PM +0200, Thomas Huth wrote:

>>> From what I can tell this really only affects DDW which should be page
>>> size agnostic when only using emulated devices. Maybe Alexey thought of
>>> using VFIO-pci devices in a TCG guest?
>>
>> Maybe we could at least silence the warning by checking
>> qtest_enabled()?
>

> So,
>
> 1) Yes, we should at least silence the warning.

Agree, wrapping it into kvm_enabled() should do it.

> 2) Certainly the mentioned slowdown shouldn't be significant for TCG
> guests.

It is not significant at all. While in-kernel TCE handling improves
throughput for VFIO devices quite a lot (200mb/s -> 1000mb/s), TCG could
not do any better than 20mb/s anyway.

> 3) I _think_ the restriction which causes the slowdown doesn't even
> exist for TCG, but I haven't 100% convinced myself of this.  I've been
> sick lately, so my brain isn't working all that well.

Mismatch between system page size and IOMMU page size means H_PUT_TCE is
going to be called more often than needed; if VFIO is involved, then more
ioctl(vfio_container_fd, DMAP_MAP) calls. But - we cannot do 8K IOMMU pages
at all, SPARC does not support VFIO (or does it?), and TCG is slow anyway.

--
Alexey