qemu-devel

Re: [Qemu-devel] Looking for ideas: Single process vs multi process qemu

From: Alex Bennée
Subject: Re: [Qemu-devel] Looking for ideas: Single process vs multi process qemu instances
Date: Thu, 22 Jun 2017 10:45:45 +0100

Ajallooiean Hossein <address@hidden> writes:

> Hi All,
>

> we are trying to do server simulation and for that purpose we need to
> have multiple Qemu instances (each can have a different spec) that are
> part of a virtual network (ns-3 in our case).

So you are talking about using TCG for simulation rather than KVM here?

> Now for the Qemu implementation part: would it be easier/better to
> have all the Qemu instances under a single process or multiple
> processes? i am assuming if one single process is used, there will be
> a threading conflict that would probably need to be looked at.

QEMU isn't really setup for multiple machine instances in the one
binary. If you are simulating a complex set of communicating machines
then you will need one QEMU instance per machine.

TCG can now use multiple threads (one per emulated vCPU) but this has
only been enabled for a subset of architectures so far. You don't say
what architecture your servers machines are.

--
Alex Bennée