qemu-devel

[Qemu-devel] SPARC64 supported processors

From: Pasha Tatashin
Subject: [Qemu-devel] SPARC64 supported processors
Date: Tue, 27 Jun 2017 13:59:55 -0400

Hi,

I am trying to evaluate the current qemu support for sparc64 processors. First, it seems -smp is not supported for any processor, is this correct? When I set -smp greater than 1, I am getting:

qemu-system-sparc64: Number of SMP CPUs requested (2) exceeds max CPUs supported by machine 'sun4u' (1)

I've done some testing for all available sparc64 cpus + latest linux kernel:

Fujitsu Sparc64     Working
Fujitsu Sparc64 III Exception 0x30 (DAE_side_effect_page) in OpenBios
Fujitsu Sparc64 IV  Working
Fujitsu Sparc64 V   Working
TI UltraSparc I     Working
TI UltraSparc II    Working
TI UltraSparc IIi   Working
TI UltraSparc IIe   Exception 0x28 (division_by_zero) in init_tick_ops
  Can make it to work if is_hummingbird() is changed
  to return 0. The IO stick, and OpenBios stick properties
  are absent, so we have to default to %tick for now.

Sun UltraSparc III  Illegal instruction in cheetah_boot():
  wr  %g0, %g1, %dcr
  It appears dispatch control register is not implemented.

Sun UltraSparc IIIi
Sun UltraSparc IV
Sun UltraSparc IV+
Sun UltraSparc IIIi+
 In these four CPUs, I am getting exception 0x32 in
 cheetah_generic_boot: stxa  %g0, [ %g3 ] #ASI_DMMU

Sun UltraSparc T1
Sun UltraSparc T2

Both of the above boot pretty far but fail in this function when tmpfs is mounted:
        direct_pcr_write(unsigned long reg_num, u64 val)
        __asm__ __volatile__("wr %0, 0x0, %%pcr" : : "r" (val));

        Seems like performance counter registers are not supported.

        needed to add these to kernel parameters:
        keep_bootcon -> to see where we are panicking
        lpj=1000 -> jiffers could not calculate for some reason.

NEC UltraSparc I    Working

Does this look right or may be I have missed something, and we can get some of the Sun UltraSparc to work for example?

Thank you,
Pasha