qemu-devel

Re: [Qemu-devel] [RFC] QMP design: Fixing query-block and friends

From: Markus Armbruster
Subject: Re: [Qemu-devel] [RFC] QMP design: Fixing query-block and friends
Date: Wed, 28 Jun 2017 13:59:27 +0200

Kevin Wolf <address@hidden> writes:

> Am 28.06.2017 um 09:10 hat Markus Armbruster geschrieben:
>> Eric Blake <address@hidden> writes:
>> >
>> > The age-old filtering question. It's also plausible to have a single
>> > command, with an optional argument, and which always returns an array:
>> > the full array if the argument was omitted, or an array of one matching
>> > the argument when one was provided.  Adding filtering is an easy patch
>> > on top once it is proven to make life easier for a client, and I'm okay
>> > with a first approach that does not filter.
>>
>> The graph may change.  Querying node by node would have to cope with
>> changes somehow, which I'd expect to be complex and fragile.  I think we
>> really need a way to get a complete, consistent graph.  So let's
>> implement that first.  If we still want server-side filtering once
>> that's done, we can add some on top.
>>
>> As usual, I doubt we really need server-side filtering, and I dislike
>> the interface complexity it brings.
>
> I didn't really think of it as filtering. Every other operation is done
> on a single object, so querying a single object would be the natural
> extension. I mean, we also don't consider it "filtering" that we have
> many separate query commands instead of a 'query-qemu-state'.

Let me try to be more precise.

Once you have a command to return "full" data, I doubt the need to add
filtering to it so it can optionally return partial data.

I put "full" in quotes, because it's a design decision.  If you design a
command to query information about a node, then "full" is information
about just that node.  If you design one for the entire node graph, then
"full" is about all nodes that exist.  If you design one for the
sub-graph rooted at a certain node, then "full" is about all the nodes
in that sub-graph.

The design will depend on considerations like the desire let clients
gain a consistent view more easily.  That's not what I meant by
"filtering".

If the chosen design returns information on multiple nodes, then adding
optional parameters to make it return less is "filtering".  This kind of
filtering can easily be done in the client.  Doing it in the server
increases interface complexity, and that needs justification.

Here's a justification I could accept: we can show certain clients need
partial information frequently enough to make saving bandwidth
worthwhile.

Here's a justification I refuse to accept: because we can.

Is my stance clearer now?

> But you have a good point with the necessary atomicity, so we'll return
> everything at once.

>> They weren't meant to be when I created them, but I guess it's what they
>> evolved to be.

>> Since qdev properties are implemented as QOM property, there are no
>> non-qdev QOM properties.
>
> You got the logic wrong here: "All qdev properties are QOM properties"
> doesn't imply "All QOM properties are qdev properties". Now I don't say
> that it's not true anyway, I don't know enough about QOM and qdev to say
> much about it.

I got it backwards.  There are no non-QOM qdev properties.  Sorry for
the confusion.

QOM isn't the only way to interact with QEMU objects (objects in the
widest possible sense).  But it's a generic way that already exists.
Let's consider whether we can use it before we invent new ways.

Read/write QOM properties is how we configure and control QOM objects,
including devices.  Read-only QOM properties is how we inspect them.

> I always had the impression that qdev provided some wrappers around QOM
> that add magic that makes properties configurable in -device and things
> like that, which you wouldn't want for these properties. I also know
> that devices aren't supposed to change qdev properties at runtime
> (whereas I remember QOM not to have trouble with that), but I'm not sure
> if there is a technical reason for this.

Historically, qdev properties are for configuring devices.  But nothing
stops you from using (abusing?) qdev properties for something else.  You
could, for instance, ignore a property's initial value (making it *not*
configuration), then have its value track some interesting bit of device
state, so the user can inspect it with info qtree.

However, arguing about this has become rather pointless, because qdev is
less and less separate from QOM.  We've acquired non-qdev QOM properties
for configuring devices.  We may generalize features qdev now provides
over QOM, because they're useful for non-devices as well, such as
defining properties in data rather than code, or the machinery for
machine-type-specific defaults.

My point is: don't get sidetracked into qdev.

>> qom-get returns 'any'.  A read-only property with a complex value is
>> already possible.  But it's awkward when you also want to get or set
>> parts of the complex value.
>>
>> Perhaps we could provide a way to get whole containers in addition to
>> single properties.  Would that do?
>
> You could query a device with a single command then, sounds much nicer.
> Actually, your argument from above applies here, too: You want the
> returned data to be consistent, so querying needs to be atomic. This
> means that getting whole containers isn't only more convenient, but
> actually more correct.

Point.

Related: transaction to set multiple properties.  Different topic,
though.

> Another thought I have when comparing this with querying block nodes:
> Wouldn't you still consider querying just a single device filtering?

I hope I answered this above.

>> > Being able to query all the devices (with their BB's, and only a name
>> > reference to the top-level BDS in use by the BB), separately from being
>> > able to query all BDS, seems like a reasonable thing.  After all,
>> > sometimes you care about what the guest sees (what devices have a BB),
>> > and sometimes you care about what the host is exposing (what BDS are in
>> > use).
>>
>> No argument.  But let's not focus narrowly on block devices, or even
>> devices.  If QOM "isn't really nice" for block devices, it probably
>> isn't nice for lots of other things.  If we can address that at the QOM
>> level, we should.
>
> That's exactly what I think. Unfortunately, my knowledge about QOM is
> seriously lacking. Even more unfortunately, everyone else seems to have
> the same problem.

QOM is documented, but the documentation is seriously lacking on the
*why*.  It's obvious to me that a lot of thought and love has been
poured into QOM.  Sadly, the people how used to drive QOM aren't as
active as they used to be, or have since moved on to other adventures
entirely.  This leaves us with a complex, ambitious piece of
infrastructure we don't quite know how to put to use.

>> > Our existing interface is definitely awkward, with lots of redundancy in
>> > some places and missing information in others, and a new interface does
>> > seem like we can do better at designing it right up front rather than
>> > bolting on yet more information to the existing queries (which results
>> > in that much more noise to churn through to get to the desired
>> > information).
>>
>> Replacing an interface that could be evolved to serve is a mistake.
>>
>> Not replacing an interface when it has reached its design limits is also
>> a mistake.
>>
>> I normally advise against the first mistake.  But in this case, I think
>> we have to avoid the second.  The interface has evolved into a confusing
>> mess.  The gap between how the interface presents the block layer and
>> how it actually works has become too large.  Sufficiently sophisticated
>> clients have to bridge the gap somehow, and that's painful.
>
> Thanks, the feedback so far is already very helpful in that everyone
> agreed that we need something completely new. Now we just need to figure
> out what it should look like. :-)

"just" :)