qemu-devel

Re: [Qemu-devel] handling emulation fine-grained memory protection

From: Richard Henderson
Subject: Re: [Qemu-devel] handling emulation fine-grained memory protection
Date: Mon, 3 Jul 2017 11:01:38 -0700

On 07/03/2017 09:40 AM, Peter Maydell wrote:
Since these are defined by system registers, I can imagine there can only be
a few pages for which this fine grained handling might apply any any one
time. This would certainly be preferable to reducing the effectiveness of
the entire TLB by a factor of 16.

Yes, that was somewhat my feeling too -- really tiny TLB pages
are not very nice, and most pages probably won't be finegrained.

Coming back to this, might it make sense to choose a *larger* page size for M profile? 1K is awfully small. Any idea how aligned the region start/end tends to be for real applications?

If we're only taking this extra trap for the first and last page of a region, when the application happens to use a size/alignment that conflicts with the page size that we choose, then a much larger page size choice might perform well overall.

r~