qemu-devel

Re: [Qemu-devel] Managing architectural restrictions with -device and li

From: Marcel Apfelbaum
Subject: Re: [Qemu-devel] Managing architectural restrictions with -device and libvirt
Date: Thu, 6 Jul 2017 11:57:39 +0300

On 05/07/2017 21:05, Markus Armbruster wrote:
Mark Cave-Ayland <address@hidden> writes:

On 05/07/17 16:46, Markus Armbruster wrote:

I've been working on a patchset that brings the sun4u machine on
qemu-system-sparc64 much closer to a real Ultra 5, however due to
various design restrictions I need to be able to restrict how devices
are added to the machine with -device.

On a real Ultra 5, the root PCI bus (sabre) has 2 PCI bridges (simba A
and simba B) with the onboard devices attached to simba A with 2 free
slots, and an initially empty simba B.

Firstly, is it possible to restrict the machine so that devices cannot
be directly plugged into the root PCI bus, but only behind one of the
PCI bridges? There is also an additional restriction in that slot 0
behind simba A must be left empty to ensure that the ebus (containing
the onboard devices) is the first device allocated.

I figure sabre, simba A, simba B and the onboard devices attached to
simba A are all created by MachineClass init().

Yes that is effectively correct, although the Simba devices are created
as part of the PCI host bridge (apb) creation in pci_apb_init().

Anything that runs within init() counts as "created by init()".

Okay, in that case we should be fine here.

What device provides "the ebus", and how is it created?

It's actually just an ISA bus, so the ebus device is effectively a
PCI-ISA bridge for legacy devices.

Is this bridge created by init()?

Yes, it too is called via the machine init function.

Can you provide a list of all onboard PCI devices and how they are
connected?  Diagram would be best.

I can try and come up with something more concise later, however I can
quickly give you the OpenBIOS DT from my WIP patchset if that helps:

0 > show-devs
ffe1bf38 /
ffe1c110 /aliases
ffe1c238 /openprom (BootROM)
ffe26b50 /openprom/client-services
ffe1c4f0 /options
ffe1c5d0 /chosen
ffe1c710 /builtin
ffe1c838 /builtin/console
ffe26618 /packages
ffe28640 /packages/cmdline
ffe28890 /packages/disk-label
ffe2c8d8 /packages/deblocker
ffe2cef0 /packages/grubfs-files
ffe2d300 /packages/sun-parts
ffe2d718 /packages/elf-loader
ffe2b210 /address@hidden,0 (memory)
ffe2b370 /virtual-memory
ffe2d878 /address@hidden,0 (pci)
ffe2e1a8 /address@hidden,0/address@hidden,1 (pci)
ffe2e960 /address@hidden,0/address@hidden,1/address@hidden
ffe2f1b0 /address@hidden,0/address@hidden,1/address@hidden/address@hidden
ffe2f328 /address@hidden,0/address@hidden,1/address@hidden/address@hidden
(block)
ffe2f878 /address@hidden,0/address@hidden,1/address@hidden/address@hidden
(serial)
ffe2fc08 /address@hidden,0/address@hidden,1/address@hidden/address@hidden (8042)
ffe2fe00
/address@hidden,0/address@hidden,1/address@hidden/address@hidden/address@hidden
(serial)
ffe301b0 /address@hidden,0/address@hidden,1/address@hidden,1 (network)
ffe307c8 /address@hidden,0/address@hidden,1/QEMU,address@hidden (display)
ffe31e40 /address@hidden,0/address@hidden,1/address@hidden (ide)
ffe32398 /address@hidden,0/address@hidden,1/address@hidden/address@hidden (ide)
ffe32678 /address@hidden,0/address@hidden,1/address@hidden/address@hidden (ide)
ffe32910
/address@hidden,0/address@hidden,1/address@hidden/address@hidden/address@hidden
(block)
ffe32f98 /address@hidden,0/address@hidden (pci)
ffe336e8 /SUNW,UltraSPARC-IIi (cpu)
  ok

For comparison you can see the DT from a real Ultra 5 here:
http://www.pearsonitcertification.com/articles/article.aspx?p=440286&seqNum=7

The real sabre has two slots, and doesn't support hot (un)plug.  Can we
simply model that?  If yes, the root PCI bus is full after init(), and
remains full.  Takes care of "cannot directly plugged into the root PCI
bus".

Right. So what you're saying is that if we add the 2 simba devices to
the sabre PCI host bridge during machine init and then mark the sabre
PCI root bus as not hotplug-able then that will prevent people adding
extra devices from the command line via -device? I will see if I can
find time to try this later this evening.

No.  Marking the bus "not hotpluggable" only prevents *hotplug*,
i.e. plug/unplug after machine initialization completed, commonly with
device_add.  -device is *cold* plug; it happens during machine
initialization.

However, if you limit sabre's bus to two slots (modelling real hardware
faithfully), then you can't cold plug anything (there's no free slot).
If you additionally mark the bus or both simba devices not hotpluggable
(again modelling real hardware faithfully), you can't unplug the simbas.
I believe that's what you want.

It seems like limiting the size of the bus would solve the majority of
the problem. I've had a quick look around pci.c and while I can see that
the PCIBus creation functions take a devfn_min parameter, I can't see
anything that limits the number of slots available on the bus?

Marcel?

Hi Markus,
Sorry for my late reply.

Indeed, we don't have currently a restriction on the number of usable
slots on a bus, however deriving from PCIBus class and implementing
the new policy should not be much trouble.

And presumably if the user did try and coldplug something into a full
bus then they would get the standard "PCI: no slot/function
available..." error?

That's what I'd expect.

My understanding from reading various bits of documentation is that the
the empty simba bridge (bus B) can hold a maximum of 4 devices, whilst
the non-empty simba bridge (bus A) can hold a maximum of 2 devices
(presumably due to the on-board hardware). And in order to make sure
OpenBIOS maps the PCI IO ranges correctly, the ebus must be the first
on-board device found during a PCI bus scan which means slot 0 on bus A
must be blacklisted.

Assuming init() plugs in the device providing ebus: plug it into slot 0,
mark it not hotpluggable, done.

That is good solution in theory except that I'd like to keep the ebus in
slot 1 so that it matches the real DT as much as possible. In the future
it could be possible for people to boot using PROMs from a real Sun and
I'm not yet convinced that there aren't hardcoded references to some of
the onboard legacy devices in a real PROM.

Misunderstanding on my part!  You don't have to blacklist slot 0 to have
the PCI core put ebus in slot 1.  Simply ask for slot 1 by passing
PCI_DEVFN(1, 0) to pci_create() or similar.

Right, hard-coding the device creation in machine init will solve that,
however it will be against our long-term goal to create the machine as
a puzzle, and for that, the devices should be created in some
order. I suspect the task would not be easy to integrate as
part of this project though.

I guess what I'm looking for is some kind of hook that runs after both
machine init and all the devices have been specified on the command
line, which I can use to validate the configuration and provide a
suitable error message/hint if the configuration is invalid?

You should be able to construct the machine you want, and protect the
parts the user shouldn't mess with from messing users.  No need to
validate the mess afterwards then.

Unfortunately there would be issues if the user was allowed to construct
a machine with more PCI devices than slots in real hardware, since the
PCI interrupt number is limited to 4 bits - 2 bits for the PCI interrupt
number (A to D), and 2 bits for the slot. So if a user tries to plug in
more than 4 devices into each simba bus then the interrupts won't be
mapped correctly.

My feeling is that it makes more sense to error out if the user tries to
add too many devices to the bus and/or in the wrong slots rather than
let them carry on and wonder why the virtual devices don't work
correctly, but I'm open to other options.

My advice is to model the physical hardware faithfully.  If it has four
PCI slots on a certain PCI bus, provide exactly four.  If it has onboard
devices hardwired into a certain slot, put them exactly there, and
disable unplug.  Make it impossible to plug too many devices into a bus,
or into the wrong slots.

I agree, but still the user will see an error. However the error would
be "slot x does not exist" which is clean.

I see two ways to continue:
 1. A new kind of pci-bridge should be created with a "special"
    secondary bus that has less slots. (harder to implement)
 2. Add the limitation of the number of slots to the PCIBus class,
    (simpler to implement, but since is not a widely used case maybe
    is not the best way to go.

Thanks,
Marcel