qemu-devel

Re: [Qemu-devel] change x86 default machine type to Q35?

From: Daniel P. Berrange
Subject: Re: [Qemu-devel] change x86 default machine type to Q35?
Date: Thu, 6 Jul 2017 12:06:27 +0100

On Thu, Jul 06, 2017 at 01:00:53PM +0200, Thomas Huth wrote:
> On 06.07.2017 12:49, Daniel P. Berrange wrote:
> [...]
> > This avoids the user having problems with guest ABI silently changing
> > behind their back, or migration suddenly failing to load vm state,
>
> For proper migration, you've got to specify the right versioned machine
> type anyway, so that should not be an issue here.

That's only true if you have mis-matched QEMU releases on each host.
If you know you have the same QEMU release everywhere, there's no
need for versioned machine types. Though obviously we'd still recommend
people us versioned machine type, its not unreasonable that some people
will not

Regards,
Daniel