qemu-devel

Re: [Qemu-devel] unrecognized option --object

From: Peter Maydell
Subject: Re: [Qemu-devel] unrecognized option --object
Date: Fri, 21 Jul 2017 10:15:27 +0100

On 21 July 2017 at 05:10, Fam Zheng <address@hidden> wrote:
> On Thu, 07/20 19:06, 陳培泓 wrote:
>> I build qemu from the https://github.com/qemu/qemu, and it didn't show any
>> errors.
>>
>> I tried qemu-nbd --object secret,id=sec0...
>> but it shows unrecognized option '--object '
>>
>> how to solve it?
>
> -object it is. Thanks.

Hmm? For me the help message says '--object' and the implementation
agrees that it wants two hyphens:

$ ./build/x86/qemu-nbd -object foo
Invalid offset `bject'
[ie interpreting it as -o plus an argument]
$ ./build/x86/qemu-nbd --object foo
Invalid number of arguments
Try `./build/x86/qemu-nbd --help' for more information.
[ie it recognized the option]

My guesses for why the original poster is getting
'unrecognized option' are either:
 (1) if the error message really has a space after
"t" and before the closing "'" then they're probably invoking
qemu-nbd via a script whose quoting is wrong and is passing
the literal string "--object " with a trailing space by mistake
 (2) otherwise, accidentally running the system qemu-nbd
(which is presumably an old version without this option)
rather than the one they've just built from git ?

thanks
-- PMM