qemu-devel

Re: [Qemu-devel] About virtio device hotplug in Q35!

From: Marcel Apfelbaum
Subject: Re: [Qemu-devel] About virtio device hotplug in Q35!
Date: Mon, 24 Jul 2017 08:05:54 +0300

On 24/07/2017 4:47, Zhong Yang wrote:
Hello all,

Hi,

When we did virtio device hotplug in Q35 platform, which always failed in
hotplug.

Can we please see the QEMU command line and the description
of the hotplug steps?

Would you please tell me how to configure VM to make virtio device hotplug work
in Q35 platform?  Many thanks!

The virtio devices can be hot-plugged into PCIe Root Ports:
HMP example:
 Start the VM with several PCIe Root Ports:
   <qemu-bin> -M q35 -monitor stdio \
                     -device pcie-root-port,id=rp1 \
                     -device pcie-root port,id=rp2 \
 Then from QEMU's hmp: